Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Love Live Theatre

Lastnight I went to the Gold Coast Arts Centre to see "Boy From Oz" - thoroughly enjoyed the night of excellent live entertainment. I love the theatre and took the boys as often as I could in Moresby hoping to instill the same love and appreciation for it, into them. I think my own most memorable theatre experience would have to be when I was a teenager seeing "My Fair Lady" in Sydney where we had a private stall/box for the performance. We were down there from Papua New Guinea for a holiday. But get a load of this - on our way back to Moresby on board the MV Malekula we berthed at Hamilton Wharf in Brisbane. For some reason unknown to me - my sister and I were bundled off to Festival Hall for a live concert - you'd never guess who was performing - The Allen Brothers !!!!!!!! - yes the "Boy from Oz". I even have their autograph to prove it, but I didn't know until lastnight that they were not really brothers and the Allen Brothers was their stage name. The manager of the old Chevron Hotel here on the Gold Coast actually gave them that name.(This photograph is courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like a Great Night & those Autographs are priceless...Yes I remember the Allen Brothers too!!
cheers
maree