Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Florence

(25.12.2009)
or Firenze as it is called in Italy.
I left home thinking I was having a holiday in Cannes. I've already been to Paris and Rome ... and now, here I am in Florence. Wow - thank you David and Susan!!
Florence, like Paris and Rome deserves a couple of posts and as usual Susan had booked us into a hotel right in the heart of town. There were still plenty of people around when you consider we arrived late afternoon on Christmas Day. It took no time at all to book into Hotel Medici then to start exploring. Florence at one point was the capital of Italy and seemed to me like a vast artistic monument where art and sculpture abounds. I had read that in 1966 the city and art works were ravaged by the Arno River floods and while we were there the river was at a raised level as a result of the same rain that had blocked the roads into Pisa. No threat of flooding though.

Can you believe this? We ran into Kate and John Hillier on our first night in Florence. They had just arrived from Venice.

No comments: