Some of the most attractive architectural features in the south of France are the villages perche's or perched villages. They rise like jagged summits on the hilltops where they were built for safety in the political turmoil of the Middles Ages.
Eze is dramatic as far as villages go with a cluster of ancient buildings (some 1,400 ft above sea level). During our walk/climb up the beautiful little cobbled streets David turned to me and said "Mum, I'd like 1 euro for every step we've climbed while you've been here"!!! And so it was that we explored another amazing part of The Cote D'Azur. Eze seduces you in a way, its like an eagle's nest sitting up on an imposing cliff and al the narrow roads (no cars of course) lead through archways and little squares. There's an amazing hotel perched over the side of the cliff, the Chateau de la Chevre d"Or and because the medieval roads are not wide enough for vehicles guests luggage is carried in by donkey. Eze is a mecca for tourists and there are beautiful things to tempt you in the shops. In Eze I saw bright cups and saucers that I'd have liked to have bought home. But then I wanted glass from Biot, 101 things in Paris, Rome and Florence but the restrictions on weight when flying make it impossible.



I SO wanted to buy these bright cups and saucers as a memory of Eze. 


















No comments:
Post a Comment