Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A photo a day - Day 33



10 Ants is where the people with gem mines have their personal jewellery made.

Another momentous day in Queenland. Tonight around midnight the biggest tropical cyclone to ever hit Australia will arrive!! Its a category 5 and the last category 5 event was in 1918!!! The cyclone is 600 kilometres in diameter and the eye is 41k wide!! It's the scariest thing I've ever seen when you look at it on the radar. What is adding to this catastophic event is the high tide occuring at the same time - the could mean another 6 or 7 metres (20ft) higher than a normal high tide. There have been constant media releases during the day to tell people how to prepare and to advise evacuation in low lying areas. Also today, the largest ever hospital evacuation in Australian history took place. 250 patients were airlifted from Cairns Base hosptial to hospitals in Brisbane. I wonder what we will all wake up to in the morning.
At home today - if I didn't know any better I would have thought I was back in PNG. It was unbearbly hot and very high humidity. I went over to Broadbeach but then headed for Robina where there is a Gloria Jeans in the back of Borders Book Shop. There I ordered an iced coffee and had a read ..... in the air conditioning.
My thoughts are with the people in North Queensland.
(I've had a bit of trouble with Blogspot the last couple of nights - can't move my photos on the page - once I've loaded them .... frustrating!)

No comments: